Machine Operation Test
1. Explain the purpose of the three ground surfaces on a standard lathe cutting tool Answer
2. For machining on a lathe, in relation to the part centerline, the cutting point of the tool should be (Below / Level / Above)
3. For turning (O.D.) it is it is more desirable to have the tool ( Over / Under ) the centerline while in boring (I.D.) it is more desirable to have the tool ( Over / Under ) the centerline.
2. A chuck key is used for: __________. It can be dangerous because __________.
3. It is important to determine material hardness before machining because __________.
4. Cutting fluid is used for these two purposes: __________.
5. It is important ensure workpieces and cutting tools are secured because __________. It is important to periodically check that both are secured during machining process because __________.
6. Describe the differences between turning, facing, and boring.
7. Self centering chucks useful for __________. They cannot be used for __________.
8. Live centers are often used to __________.
9. In what cases would you use carbide tools vs HSS?
10. Finishing cuts have a __________ depth of cut and a __________ feedrate compared to a roughing cut. Surface finish and dimensional accuracy is __________ as a result.
11. The cutting tools that can be used to face a piece of stock on a mill are:
- a) end mill
- b) boring bar
- c) fly cutter
- d) tap
- e) face mill
12. Plunging an endmill into the workpiece is preferred / not preferred because __________. Instead a better solution is to __________.
13. Climb milling differs from conventional milling in that __________.
14. In a manual machine, (Climb / Conventional) milling should only be done in light passes because backlash due to the lead screws can cause the workpiece to shift suddenly and potentially damage the tool, workpiece, or injure the operator if the workpiece is flung out of the fixture.
13. Climb milling is usually done in (Manual / CNC) machines. However it is not as common on (Manual / CNC) machines because __________.
12. In general __________ fluted endmills are used for Aluminum while __________ fluted endmills are used for steel.
13. It is important to tram or indicate the head of the mill because __________.
14. Briefly describe the following operations:
- a) center drill
- b) drill
- c) ream
- d) hone
15. Collets are usually used to hold:
- a) end mills
- b) drills
- c) end mills and drills
16. Drill chucks should only be used for drilling operations in which the majority of the force is applied vertically to the tool because: __________.
17. A vise is preferred over setup clamps because __________. However setup clamps are useful for __________.
18. Parallels are use to: __________.
19. V blocks are used when fixturing __________ parts on the milling table.
20. Whenever possible the quill should be __________ when machining the part because __________.
21. If possible, an endmill should be grasped by this section __________. Flutes should be handled using __________.
22. Chips should be swept away using this __________. Care should be taken in preventing __________.